Throwback Thursday : Pride and Prejudice

This thursday is a big throwback on several levels. Not only is it an old book (first published in 1813), it's an old read (but a classic. And I would re-read it in a heartbeat, if I didn't have so much on my plat at the moment).

So for this Throwback Thursday... drumroll... It's Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Now, I know there's loads of people out there who think the story's too sappy. But it isn't, really.
Elizabeth is actually a strong and independant woman (considering the times), and she is so without being overly silly (like one of Austen's other heroines, Emma (from the eponymous novel).

Some people will complain that the language is too archaic, and they have trouble understanding the story. Totally get that. I had the same problem, years ago (English isn't my mother tongue, which added to the problem, I suppose).
To those I say: go watch the movie, THEN read the book.

Personally, I'm partial to the 2005 one with Matthew MacFadyen and Keira Knightley. But the 1995 mini-series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle is good too.
After watching the movie, the book made a whole lot more sense to me. (I will refrain from making a Sense & Sensibility joke here ;) ).
You can read my thoughts after reading it the last time here.

On a related note, I recently stumbled across a romance novel inspired by the movie, and it was a very decent read. My own Mr. Darcy, by Karey White.

In this book, a young girl called Elizabeth (named after the book), gets dragged to the movies by her mom (who's an Austen junkie, in case you were wondering), where she falls in love with the idea of Darcy, and begins a quest to find her own, perfect Mr Darcy (okay, the title sort of gave that already away).
After loads of failed dates (not even relationships, she'll find fault with any guy on the first date), she finally finds a guy who checks pretty much every box on her list of 'Mr Perfect'. But he's kind of a jerk at times, and socially uptight (well she wanted a Mr. Darcy. He's the posterboy for bottled-up feelings and rigidness).
Then enters the scene a cute teacher guy, who's perfect, except for.. well, he checks none of the boxes on her list...
Who will she end up with?....

Comments